First time doing shrooms huh?
You’re probably excited or terrified, or both, but don’t worry that’s totally normal! Mushrooms may have a lot of health benefits but they are still a drug so it’s important to keep that in mind and to be careful.
Psilocybin mushrooms, also known as “shrooms” or “magic” mushrooms, have been around for quite some time. Since the 1960s, hippies all over the world have been using mushrooms to get a dreamy high, although psilocybin mushrooms have been utilized in traditional indigenous rites for thousands of years.
Mushrooms have been around a long time but our perception of them is what is ever-evolving as we learn more about the benefits of these magic little fungi.
Whether you’re using mushrooms ceremonially, medically, or recreationally, you should always be in the right frame of mind to be taking them.
Step 1: Know the kind of mushrooms you're taking
Before you take any kind of substance it’s important to know what kind it is right? With over 300 types of trippy mushrooms, half will give you that dreamy, colourful feeling! the other half might kill you so don’t go picking up any random mushroom you find on the ground. What makes magic mushrooms magic is a chemical called psilocybin, it’s known for its hallucinogenic effects on the brain.
We will list the top 10 SAFE psychedelic mushrooms strains for you so you know what you’re shopping for.
- Psilocybe Cubensis: there are now 60 different strains of P. cubensis, like Golden Teachers, B+, Penis Envy Mushrooms, and Pink Buffalo. They are the most common because they can be easily grown indoors.
Psilocybe semilanceata: (Liberty Caps) are the 3rd most potent in psilocybin.
Psilocybe azurescens: (Flying Saucers, Blue Runners, Blue Angels, or Azzies) are one of the strongest magic mushrooms strains to grow in the wild.
- Psilocybin tampanensis: these produces truffles, which contain psilocybin. These truffles are often called philosopher’s stones, magic truffles, or psilocybin truffles. They can contain contain up to 0.68 percent psilocybin and 0.32 percent psilocin.
- Psilocybe zapotecorum: Native to Mexico, these mushrooms are thought to be in many of the ancient ceramic mushroom statues that have been uncovered.
- Psilocybe cyanescens: (Wavy Cap) are known to be potent and can contain between 0.3 percent to 1.68 percent psilocybin, 0.28 percent to 0.51 percent psilocin, and 0.02 percent to 0.03 percent baeocystin.
- Panaeolus cyanescens: (Blue Meanies) can be confusing because there is also a strain of Psilocybe cubensis called Blue Meanies, but don’t let that fool you, these shroomies are some of the strongest in the world, with two to three times the amount of psilocybin and psilocin than good ‘ol cubensis.
- Psilocybe caerulescens: (Landslide Mushrooms) Their potency is low to moderate, and the trip can even be a bit shorter, lasting from three to six hours. They’re a good introduction to magic mushrooms, but can also be a disappointment to those with Psilocybe cubensis experience.
- Psilocybe Mexicana: (Mexicana Liberty Caps) They are known for packing a potent dose in such a small package.
- Psilocybe caerulipes: (Blue Foot) They are a moderately potent psilocybin mushroom, roughly the same strength as Psilocybe cubensis. Experiences can be strong so start small (1-3 grams) if you get a hold of these guys.
Step 2: Make sure you're ready for the experience
Anyone who has taken shrooms will tell you, being in the right headspace is crucial. Shrooms can boost your mood and energy, give you a euphoric feeling and induce light to extreme hallucinations (depending on the dose). With that in mind, going into a shroom trip when you are stressed will enhance those negative emotions and buckle you in for a bumpy ride.
Those who experience a “bad trip” will often say that it was their fault for taking shrooms without being in a good place to start with. A clinical coulser by the name of Dave Philips said “It helps your own brain solve your own problems.” and “It wasn’t a bad trip, only a challenging one”
Step 3: Pick your environment carefully
You want to take shrooms in a place where you feel safe and comfortable, avoid places that make you anxious like work or school. It’s common for people to want to spend their trip outside in nature as it helps you feel more connected with the earth beneath you. It’s also common to take shrooms in the comfort and safety of your own home. Just make sure there aren’t any things that will be potentially stressful and put a damper on your trip.
Don't shrooms sound great! Buy some today and see what all the hype is about!
Step 4: Bring a buddy
If it’s your first time trippy, bring a buddy! most seasoned shroom users will recommend beginners bring along an experienced user or “trip sitter” to hang out with them while they go through their experience. Make sure this is someone you trust and feel safe with, don’t go ask a stranger on the street to look after you while you trip.
Step 5: The right equipment
Don’t just take shrooms and not bring anything with you, that would make one boring trip. It’s said that music is so much better on shrooms, you feel the rhythm of the music through your whole body. If you’re feeling creative, bring a notepad and pencil to draw whatever your brain imagines, maybe you’ll be the next Picasso who knows! Lastly remember to bring water and snacks to make your experience just a bit more enjoyable, don’t want to trip on an empty stomach.